In those days, parents who stayed in and around the Basavanagudi Area, had one ambition in their minds, Their child should be a part of Vijaya High School ,South End or National High School , Basavangudi. It was kind of a status symbol for some of them.Even my parents had the same dream.
Thank God..I was one of the fortunate guys who got a seat in National High School and the rest is, what they say History which I would never like to forget.
The Old Building, which was designed when my grandfather was having an Ice cream for one paisa or in other words when Gandhiji was fighting for the Independent India.It had its own charm, the architecture and those black colored red tiles and wall clock on its tower which never showed the correct time for many months, took us back to those period of pre independent India.
I joined the school post my completion of 7th standard.When I entered into the building with deep navy blue colored shorts and white shirt which had flaps on its shoulders, I was like an alien in a completely new world, with a Question mark on his face.It took me a while to get adjusted to an environment which was completely different from my previous school.Bigger Classrooms,Bigger benches,Biggest Ground (I had ever seen in Bangalore at that time),New friends and moreover almost all of them were talented or brilliant in one or the other field.Somehow , I got adjusted and realized that I was indeed a human not an alien.
I enjoyed the stay of three years for many reasons.One of the reasons would be , the quality of teachers we had.Teachers who were part of that organization were truly unforgettable.Many of the wonderful teachers ended their profession when we were part of NHS. We were lucky enough to be students of them, just by a whisker.
National High school will be remembered more for other activities we use to perform than the studies.Sports, Surely was the biggest part of our life in those three years.I don't remember a single day where we never played a game.I have never played so many games in my life before and after that period.We played games which I guess was discovered by our seniors. Choorchand(A game where you used take out all your anger on your friends),Box Tennis,Volley Tennis(Combination of volleyball and tennis played with a tennis ball) to name a few.
The Ganesha Chaturthi celebrations,Independence Day parade,Geetha Jayanthi celebrations,H.N sir's speeches,Gandhi Cap,All India Level General Knowledge Exam,Gandhiji's Exam,Ramayana, Mahabharatha ,Biology Lab,NCC,Cricket Matches,Library and list goes on.
Looking back at those days, One thing I can say at this point of time of my career .May be I didn't do that much well in studies in those three years.But as a person I developed and I enjoyed.If god gives me a chance to travel to my past I would not miss those three years..Truely.
---
Gururaj M J
![]() |
| National High School |
The Old Building, which was designed when my grandfather was having an Ice cream for one paisa or in other words when Gandhiji was fighting for the Independent India.It had its own charm, the architecture and those black colored red tiles and wall clock on its tower which never showed the correct time for many months, took us back to those period of pre independent India.
I joined the school post my completion of 7th standard.When I entered into the building with deep navy blue colored shorts and white shirt which had flaps on its shoulders, I was like an alien in a completely new world, with a Question mark on his face.It took me a while to get adjusted to an environment which was completely different from my previous school.Bigger Classrooms,Bigger benches,Biggest Ground (I had ever seen in Bangalore at that time),New friends and moreover almost all of them were talented or brilliant in one or the other field.Somehow , I got adjusted and realized that I was indeed a human not an alien.
I enjoyed the stay of three years for many reasons.One of the reasons would be , the quality of teachers we had.Teachers who were part of that organization were truly unforgettable.Many of the wonderful teachers ended their profession when we were part of NHS. We were lucky enough to be students of them, just by a whisker.
National High school will be remembered more for other activities we use to perform than the studies.Sports, Surely was the biggest part of our life in those three years.I don't remember a single day where we never played a game.I have never played so many games in my life before and after that period.We played games which I guess was discovered by our seniors. Choorchand(A game where you used take out all your anger on your friends),Box Tennis,Volley Tennis(Combination of volleyball and tennis played with a tennis ball) to name a few.
The Ganesha Chaturthi celebrations,Independence Day parade,Geetha Jayanthi celebrations,H.N sir's speeches,Gandhi Cap,All India Level General Knowledge Exam,Gandhiji's Exam,Ramayana, Mahabharatha ,Biology Lab,NCC,Cricket Matches,Library and list goes on.
Looking back at those days, One thing I can say at this point of time of my career .May be I didn't do that much well in studies in those three years.But as a person I developed and I enjoyed.If god gives me a chance to travel to my past I would not miss those three years..Truely.
---
Gururaj M J

No comments:
Post a Comment